Dry mouth, also known as xerostomia, is a common condition that affects millions of people. While it can happen occasionally, chronic dry mouth can point to an underlying health issue. Allopathic medicine doesn’t always provide the relief some patients need. For those looking for alternative solutions, homeopathic remedies for dry mouth may help stimulate saliva production and provide welcome relief.
What Causes Dry Mouth?
There are several potential causes of dry mouth:
- Medications – Hundreds of prescription and over-the-counter drugs list dry mouth as a side effect. Some of the most common culprits are antidepressants, antihistamines, diuretics, and pain medications.
- Medical conditions – Sjögren’s syndrome, diabetes, anxiety disorders, HIV/AIDS, Alzheimer’s disease, and Parkinson’s disease can all cause dry mouth. Radiation treatment for cancers of the head and neck can also damage saliva glands.
- Aging – As we get older, our salivary glands may produce less saliva.
- Lifestyle factors – Breathing through your mouth, especially at night, can dry out your mouth. Smoking cigarettes or chewing tobacco also contributes. Dehydration from lack of fluids or drinking too much alcohol can be a factor too.
Why Saliva Matters
Saliva is important for many oral and overall health functions, including:
- Neutralizing acids that cause tooth decay
- Washing away food particles
- Enabling chewing, tasting, swallowing, and speaking
- Preventing infection by controlling bacteria and fungi growth
- Aiding in digestion
When salivary gland function is impaired, it’s easy to see why dry mouth becomes a problem.
Homeopathic Remedies to Try
Homeopathy uses natural substances to stimulate the body’s self-healing response. Here are some homeopathic remedies that may help relieve a dry mouth:
Aconitum napellus (monkshood) is often used for conditions involving dryness. It can help stimulate saliva production and may be helpful when dry mouth occurs suddenly or after exposure to dry cold wind.
Bryonia is derived from a wild hops plant. It is commonly used for dryness in mucous membranes, including in the mouth. Bryonia may help mouth dryness that worsens with movement.
Nux vomica is made from seeds of the strychnine tree. It works well for dry mouth that occurs with overall bodily dryness and thirst. Nux vomica is also used for dry mouth resulting from alcohol intake or smoking.
Phytolacca (pokeweed) can aid dry mouth, especially when the tongue is also dry and tends to stick to the palate. Phytolacca may help reduce mouth dryness experienced in the morning upon waking up.
Pulsatilla comes from the windflower plant. It is often used for dry mouth accompanied by a lack of thirst and no desire to drink fluids. Pulsatilla may be helpful at nighttime or after eating rich foods.
Additional Tips for Relief
Along with homeopathic remedies, try these tips to help hydrate the mouth and promote saliva flow:
- Drink plenty of water and swish water around the mouth.
- Chew sugar-free gum or suck on sugar-free hard candies.
- Limit intake of caffeine, alcohol, and tobacco, which can worsen dry mouth.
- Breathe through your nose, not your mouth, as much as possible.
- Use a humidifier at night
- Use any oral spray specially designed for mouth dryness.
- Avoid overly salty foods, which can exacerbate dry mouth.
Homeopathy takes a holistic approach to healing. Consulting with a trained homeopath allows the selection of the optimal remedy based on your unique symptoms. Dosage instructions provided by the homeopath should be followed when taking homeopathic preparations. Most treatments are considered safe, even for children. However, introducing any new medication should be discussed with your regular doctor.
While homeopathy may not cure chronic dry mouth, these natural remedies can often provide symptom relief and improve quality of life when conventional options have failed. If dry mouth symptoms persist, consult your healthcare provider to rule out any underlying medical conditions that may require treatment. Many patients find combining professional medical care with homeopathic remedies provides the best support on the journey back to health.
Lubricity is a Proud Supporter of the
Lubricity Premium Dry Mouth Spray
Take control of your dry mouth with Lubricity!
Interested in trying Lubricity?
What do customers say about Lubricity Dry Mouth Spray?